Skip to main content

Finding Aids

University of Idaho Library Special Collections & Archives Guides and Descriptions

X

Collections A-Z



Guide to the Sunshine Mining Company Records ; Sunshine Mining Company Records

Records

1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Large
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Guide to the Sunshine Mining Company Records 1907-1943

Sponsor: Funds for processing were provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, the U.S. Department of Education HEA Title II-C "Strengthening Research Library Resources" program, the Library Associates of the University of Idaho and other donors.Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.


Overview of the Collection

Title: Records
Creator: Sunshine Mining Company
Dates: 1907-1943
Quantity: 0.5 cubic feet
Abstract:Minutes and other documents relating to meetings, stock ledger and journal, financial ledger, and cashbook for a silver-lead mine in the Beaver Mining District of the Coeur d'Alene mining region of northern Idaho.
Identification: MG275
Language: English
Repository: University of Idaho Library Special Collections and Archives
Moscow, ID 83844-2351

Arrangement and Description

Since there are so few records of the Sunshine Mining company, they are not divided into series; the physical arrangement of the material, however, follows that of the larger record groups in the Day Mines collection.The minute book contains, in addition to minutes of meetings of the directors and stockholders, the articles of incorporation, assessment notices and lists of stockholders. The other records relating to meetings include minutes of later meetings (1923-1942), notices of assessments, reports to stockholders, lists of stockholders, leases and other legal documents, and tax receipts.Capital stock records consist of a stock ledger and a stock journal, while the financial records include a financial ledger and a cashbook.

Scope and Content

The records of the Sunshine Mining Company span the years 1907 to 1943. Included are minutes of meetings, a stock ledger and stock journal, a financial ledger and a cashbook.


Administrative/Biographical History

The Sunshine Mining Company was incorporated November 6, 1906, in Wallace, Idaho. The first Board of Directors included Daniel McGrath, Frederick C. Stodding, Emil Zeitfuchs, Columbus B. Ferguson, Henry McGuire, James Bailie, and David C. Smith. In September 1917 Eugene Day joined the board, and in 1918 the original officers resigned, to be replaced by Daniel McGrath as President, and H.J. Hull as secretary-treasurer. The board authorized the first of many assessment levies in August 1909.

Its property consisted of the Moonshine, Silver Seal, Lead Belt Lode, Sunshine, Guarantee Quartz Lode, and Venezuela Quartz Lode in the Beaver Mining District. It also operated the Sunshine Mill. In 1916 it purchased the Toughnut claim from Essex Lead and Silver Mining Company of Portland, and in 1918 purchased the seven adjacent claims known as the Dewey claims. The company was reorganized November 23, 1923 under a different Board of Directors which included D.C. Smith as president and H.J. Hull as the secretary-treasurer.

The property became inactive in the mid-1920s and in 1938 was leased to the Sierra Gaston Mining Company for a short time. Finally, in 1942, the property was sold to the Portland Mining Company.


Subjects

This collection is indexed under the following headings in the online catalog. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings.

Idaho
Mines and Mineral Resources

Sunshine Mining Company

Lead mines and mining -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District -- History -- Sources
Mining corporations -- Records -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District
Silver mines and mining -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District -- History -- Sources

Administrative Information

Source

The records of the Sunshine Mining Company are part of the records of Day Mines, Inc., donated to the University of Idaho by Henry Day in 1984 and 1985.

Processing Information

Initial processing of this manuscript group was done by Clay Williams in October 1988. Processing was completed by Michael Tarabulski in March 1992.


Detailed Description of the Collection

box-folderbox-folder
1/11/1Minute book 1907-1923
box-folderbox-folder
1/21/2Records relating to meetings 1911-1943
box-folderbox-folder
1/31/3Records relating to meetings 1937-1942
box-folderbox-folder
1/41/4Stock ledger 1907-1916
box-folderbox-folder
1/51/5Stock journal 1913-1919
box-folderbox-folder
1/61/6Financial ledger 1907-1939
box-folderbox-folder
1/71/7Cash book 1916

Profile Description

Creation: Encoded by ArchProteus2003
Language: Finding aid is in English

you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK