Skip to main content

Finding Aids

University of Idaho Library Special Collections & Archives Guides and Descriptions

X

Collections A-Z



Guide to the Idora Mining Company Records ; Idora Mining Company Records

Records

1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Large
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Guide to the Idora Mining Company Records 1906-1929

Sponsor: Funds for processing were provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, the U.S. Department of Education HEA Title II-C "Strengthening Research Library Resources" program, the Library Associates of the University of Idaho and other donors.Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.


Overview of the Collection

Title: Records
Creator: Idora Mining Company
Dates: 1906-1929
Quantity: 0.33 cubic feet
Abstract:Correspondence letterpress book, financial ledgers and journal, and assay records of a silver-lead mine in the Beaver Mining District of the Coeur d'Alene region of northern Idaho.
Identification: MG263
Language: English
Repository: University of Idaho Library Special Collections and Archives
Moscow, ID 83844-2351

Arrangement and Description

Since there are so few records for the Idora Mining Company no series designations were made; however, the order follows that of larger groups.The correspondence letterbook also contains a voucher register, 1902-1906, for the International Oil and Mining Syndicate and the National Mining Company.The financial records include a ledger, journal, and monthly segregation ledger which also contains a check register for March-September 1907.The assay ledger is not identified as belonging to Idora, but there are four assay certificated laid in, two of them identified as Idora. The dates correspond to the time the mine was under lease to the Yolanda Mining Company.

Scope and Content

The records of the Idora Mining Company span the years 1906 to 1929, with the bulk of the records covering the period 1906 to 1910. Included are a correspondence letterpress book, four bound volumes of financial records and one of assay records.


Administrative/Biographical History

In 1906 the officers and trustees of the Idora Mining Company were W.F. Weiman, president, George P. Larsen, vice president, D.W. Peterson, secretary, A.G. Gardner, treasurer, and A.D. Tollefson. The capitalization was 1,500,000 shares at a par value of $1.00 per share. Although the Mine was in the Coeur d'Alene District of Idaho, the main office was in Tacoma, Washington. This appears to have been the situation through 19l0.

There is no further record of the mine until the Inspector of Mines report for 1922. From it and the following annual reports, we learn that The Idora Mining Company, Ltd., was incorporated April 23, 1915, by James C. Broad, president, C.E. Mallette, secretary-manager, J.B. Carson, A. Landen, and C.J. Orland. The offices were in the Jamieson Block, Spokane. Its capital stock consisted of 1,500,000 shares with a par value of 10 cents per share. In 1928 the Idora group consisted of 1 patented claim, the Colwyn, one patented fraction, the Triangle, and 5 unpatented claims, Idora 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. The plant had one electrically driven compressor and the mill a 100 ton concentrator. Development consisted of 8000 feet of tunnels, drifts and rises. The property had been idle since 1917 with annual labor only being performed. To pay for the labor stock assessments of 2-1/2 mills were levied on February 11, 1922 and June 2, 1924. Between 1927 and 1929 the property was under lease to Yolanda Mining Company which employed three men and did a small amount of development. A two mill stock assessment was levied on August 9, 1930.

In 1931 the company reported its property had been sold to Consolidated Mining Corporation, Donald A. Callahan of Wallace, secretary, a company organized May 18, 1931 to acquire the properties of Tuscumbia Mining Company and Idora Mining Company. The Idora is last listed in the 1939 Inspector of Mines report with this note: "The Idora Mining Co., Ltd. has sold all property of every kind and description to the Consolidated Mines Corporation and has no property of any kind except unpaid accounts and its charter; we are simply keeping the corporation alive for future use and to collect amounts due."

In 1942 the Portland Mining Company purchased the Idora and Tuscumbia claims as they were adjacent to other Portland holdings in the Beaver District. In 1943 the Portland Mining Company merged with Monitor Mining Company.


Subjects

This collection is indexed under the following headings in the online catalog. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings.

Idaho
Mines and Mineral Resources

Idora Mining Company

Lead mines and mining -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District -- History -- Sources
Mining corporations -- Records -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District
Silver mines and mining -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District -- History -- Sources

Administrative Information

Source

The Records of the Idora Mining Company are part of the records of Day Mines, Inc., donated to the University of Idaho by Henry Day in 1984 and 1985.

Processing Information

Initial processing of this manuscript group was done by Judith Nielsen in July 1987.


Detailed Description of the Collection

folder
1Letterpress correspondence book 1906-1907
folder
2Financial ledger 1906-1909
folder
3Financial journal 1906-1910
folder
4Monthly segregation ledger 1907
folder
5Assay records January-May, 1929

Profile Description

Creation: Encoded by ArchProteus2003
Language: Finding aid is in English

you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK