Skip to main content

Finding Aids

University of Idaho Library Special Collections & Archives Guides and Descriptions


Collections A-Z

Guide to the Snowy Peak Mining Company Records ; Snowy Peak Mining Company Records


1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Guide to the Snowy Peak Mining Company Records 1906-1916

Sponsor: Funds for processing were provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, the U.S. Department of Education HEA Title II-C "Strengthening Research Library Resources" program, the Library Associates of the University of Idaho and other donors.Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Overview of the Collection

Title: Records
Creator: Snowy Peak Mining Company
Dates: 1906-1916
Quantity: 0.5 cubic feet
Abstract:Organizational and stock, financial, and other records of a silver-lead mine in the Lelande and Placer Centre Mining Districts in the Coeur d'Alene region of Idaho.
Identification: MG249
Language: English
Repository: University of Idaho Library Special Collections and Archives
Moscow, ID 83844-2351

Scope and Content

The records of the Snowy Peak Mining Company span the years 1906 to 1916. Included are a list of stockholders, a cash book, stock and financial ledgers and journals, vouchers, and check registers.

This portion of the records of the Snowy Peak Mining Company consists mainly of bound volumes. These records are divided into two series: Capital Stock Records, 1906-1914; and Financial Records, 1906-1916.

The only items discarded from this collection were a ring binder and some blank checks.

Of particular note in these records is item 3. Labelled a journal, and bearing E.R. Day's name, it contains only the names of stockholders and some figures. If it is a stock ledger it has very little of the information usually found such volumes.

Administrative/Biographical History

Snowy Peak Mining Company was incorporated in the State of Washington on July 24, 1906, for the purpose of buying certain unpatented claims in Lelande and Placer Center mining districts, Idaho, from Daniel H. Brien for 1 million shares of stock and $5,000 in cash. The original claims purchased were: Il Medico, Il Medico Fraction, Silent Friend, Franc and Trillium. The first meeting of incorporators and stockholders was held in Spokane on August 4, 1906. Ownership of at least some of the claims purchased from Brien, who became president of the new concern, was in fact contested between Brien and the Tamarack & Chesapeak Mining Company, from whose leadership Brien had just been ousted by Harry Day.

Brien lost in several court fights against the Tamarack & Chesapeak and on July 29, 1913, Brien and the two other Snowy Peak trustees resigned. He later sold off his stock, allegedly receiving less than one-half-cent a share. The new board of trustees for Snowy Peak included Eugene Day as president, John H. Wourms, and Edward Boyce. Between August 1906 and August 1912 approximately $14,000 was spent on development. On May 28, 1914 the board levied an assessment against the capital stock of Snowy Peak in order to pay debts and the expenses of patenting the corporation's claims. Except for holding idle claims, Snowy Peak remained inactive and on July 1, 1916 it was dissolved by the Washington secretary of state for non-payment of fees.

Most of the books of the Snowy Peak Mining Company were lost when John H. Pelletier, then secretary, left for military service during World War I. Around 1925 the Tamarack & Custer Consolidated Mining Company, then the largest holder of Snowy Peak capital stock, became interested in Snowy Peak's holdings. Attorney John H. Wourms, secretary since about 1917, attempted to revive the company. As the time limitation for reinstatement of the Washington charter had lapsed, Wourms first sought to reorganize Snowy Peak as an Idaho corporation, but when Jerome Day, president of Tamarack & Custer, offered $50,000 to buy Snowy Peak's holdings, Wourms concluded that selling out would be preferable.

With a stock certificate book and stock ledger recovered from the office of the Spokane Auditing Co., Wourms attempted to reconstruct the list of stockholders. Eugene R. Day, the former company president, was now deceased and Wourms and Edward Boyce, trustees for the stockholders as the two surviving trustees of the defunct corporation, filed a court suit to validate the transfer of Snowy Peak assets to the Tamarack & Custer. Up until this last liquidating dividend, Wourms characterized the history of the corporation as "a misery to its stockholders." Records of the liquidation of the company, as well as minutes, 1906-1912, may be found among the papers of John H. Wourms.


This collection is indexed under the following headings in the online catalog. Researchers desiring materials about related topics, persons, or places should search the catalog using these headings.

Mines and Mineral Resources

Snowy Peak Mining Company

Lead mines and mining -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District -- History -- Sources
Mining corporations -- Records -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District
Silver mines and mining -- Idaho -- Coeur d'Alene Mining District -- History -- Sources

Administrative Information


The records of the Snowy Peak Mining Company are part of the records of Day Mines, Inc., donated to the University of Idaho by Henry Day in 1984 and 1985.

Processing Information

Initial processing of this manuscript group was done by Judith Nielsen in October 1988.

Related Material

Related materials can be found in the records of John H. Wourms and the Tamarack & Custer Consolidated Mining Company.

Detailed Description of the Collection

Series I. Capital Stock Records 1906-1914
1/11/1Lists of stockholders 1912, undated
1/21/2Ledger 1906-1912
1/31/3Journal (ledger) 1914
Series II. Financial Records 1906-1916
1/41/4Ledger 1914-1915
1/51/5Journal 1914-1916
os/6os/6Cash book 1906-1912
1/71/7Check registers 1911-1916

Profile Description

Creation: Encoded by ArchProteus2003
Language: Finding aid is in English

you wish to report:

Select the collections to add or remove from your search